A few days ago, I wrote a post – The Convert’s Quest – about a growing trend in the Jewish community to reject, undermine, and otherwise humiliate those interested in Judaism, those in the process of converting to Judaism, and those who have converted to Judaism. Not only is this trend both heartbreaking and shameful, but it flies in the face of Judaism and Jewish history.
As part of that post, I created an original poem with the intention of turning it into a song. Today I took a first stab at developing the song. I recorded it and am sharing with you this unedited version – from the time I picked up my bass and first started poking around and exploring ideas. The song came alive and took flight, starting at 1:02.
This song is my gift to you, in honor of my mother, who was a Jew by choice.
If you value my song, my songwriting process, my poem, or my thinking, please consider becoming a Patreon member at the “Songwriting” level, to support my ability to create art.
At the Songwriting level, you will receive the following:
- A monthly recording of my first stab at developing an original and unpublished song (like the one in this post)
- A weekly original and unpublished poem
- A weekly spoken word performance of that poem
- A monthly bonus poem with a photo of the original handwritten journal entry for that poem
- The full Kitchen Pirates video series – my original cooking show teaching a fast, fun, and flexible approach to a whole foods, plant-based diet, and including original music by my band, Iraqis in Pajamas. Find out about it here
- Additional early access to my work, as well as discounts on all digital products on the KHAZZOOM store
Become a Patreon member here, and be intimately involved in my process creating art!
Photo by Moriel O’Connor
The Convert’s Quest song ©2021 by Loolwa Khazzoom. All rights reserved. No portion of this article may be copied without author’s permission.