On March 28, 2018, I wrote a poem, “Cancer Is My Engine.” Three days later, I picked up my electric bass, sang into a handheld digital recorder, and turned the poem into a song. Three years later, and this song is an award-winning music video, being screened at film festivals worldwide. Below you can track each step of the progress of this song:
1. photo of my journal entry with the original poem
2. Scratch recording of my first stab at the song
When you become a Patreon member, you not only support my art, but you also get to participate in my creations, in real time:
1. “Poetry” patrons get weekly typed-up versions of original and unpublished poems.
2. “Spoken Word” patrons get that plus spoken word performances of the weekly poems.
3. “Journal” patrons get all that plus a monthly photo of an original journal entry of a poem
4. “Songwriting” patrons get all that plus a monthly audio recording of my first stab at a song.
Today I just wrote a song, “Black Tar,” which I’m really digging. You can unlock the audio recording of the song when you become a Songwriting Patron – click here to access my first stab at the song!